Monday, January 17, 2011

The Molly in my life.

Molly, whoever thought that the beagle I thought Erin, Devin and Billy were bringing home was going to be not the little beagle I imagined but a beagle with huge feet, which instantly told me we were going to have a BIG dog.
Well, things started off rather quickly. We took Molly inside, and she promptly started telling us who was boss. We thought we could leave her alone. Wrong. The first time we left her alone, when we came home everything was out of the refrigerator! So we got a cage, wrong again, she got out of the cage. So we added a chain, wrong again, she was waiting for us upstairs when we entered the house. Oh, this was going to be fun.
There is no dog to compare, in my life, to Molly as far as getting the best of a human being.
She was a human...
So smart, so lovable, so strong, so bad.
But we loved her.
One day, when I had found out I needed to have my thyroid zapped out, so when I came home from the hospital, I was really nervous, because they gave me such a hard time at the hospital. I had an appointment with the city to inspect the house because I qualified for a grant to bring things up to code.
Well, when I got home, I could not get in the house. I locked the keys in the car!
So I climbed in the bedroom window, with Molly at the window the whole time, trying to drag me in. So drag me in she did. Right on the floor. The inspectors came and I forseeing trouble, shut her in the back bedroom. Well, the inspectors did what they had to do. So I went to let Molly out. I thought they were gone. Wrong. They were just going out the door. Off Molly took, I grabbed her by the collar thinking I could stop her. Wrong. She dragged me down the hall, to the door, I hit my head on the door, opening it, she dragged me down the steps onto the porch and then onto the sidewalk at the feet of the Wyandotte inspectors. I can just imagine what they had to say when they got back to the office!!

Another time, Erin and Devins father was picking up them for the evening. I was in the backyard with Molly, taking clothes off the line. Their Dad and I were in some sort of not talking mode , so I continued to do what I was doing. Well, Molly grabbed a pair of my underpants got them on and ran around and around the backyard, Bill and I could not help but laugh together because it was so very funny, seeing the brown and white "beagle" with my underwear on!

So as you can see Molly was an adventure. We were always looking for her. One Christmas Eve was spent with 4 teams looking for her, only to discover she circled around and was at the back gate.

I have had dogs my whole life, but never one quite as smart as Molly.
She was there when I was lonely, sad, scared, happy, sick. Always.

We lost Molly in January of 2005, ten years after my kids brought her home.
It was right around this time. I think it was the 14th. What a horrible day.

Saying goodbye to Molly was so hard. She died at home. Devin, Erin and I at her side. With Erin pleading with me to give her CPR and Devin having to tell us to help her die. She gave her last breath, and with her my heart gave away a piece.

I will always remember her as will my family. If only we all could have such a great dog.

I know she is creating havoc in heaven with Chevis, Molly Sue, Buster and any other dog she can bully.

Love you still, Molly girl. Always will

No comments: