Saturday, October 5, 2013

It's a wonder ful life"

How lfe turns out to be memories, good ones, bad ones, happy ones and sad ones.  This is a favorite of mine.  
My brother and decided one year to have a Summer Olympics and a play.  I do not have to tell you who was in charge of what.  But it was such a great summer, making so many memories.  Everyone on the block of  21st in Wyandotte, participated.  We had sports like basketball, baseball, running races, and not to brag but no one could beat me in running   Tommy Dennis thought he could, he tried, but I won.  Michael, I think won basketball hoops, the Taylor boys were good too. We even had events for the smaller ones.
The Olympics were first, their were medals and prizes and a ceremony. Then we did the play, I can/t remember the play.  But we had a good one, set up chairs, sold tickets.  What a production!  Parents came and watched both events.  They made cookies and helped with whatever else.  We had a special needs boy on our block "Nathan" and he helped with the tickets.  Nathan was special and NO one ever picked on him, he has passed now, but I loved him.
Our parents had us play outside (until the street lights, dinner or if they wanted us) All the neighbors were our parents for a very long time.  Kick ball baseball, red light green light, hide and go tag, such a good time.
Most of them our gone now, the parents, we had 56 children on that street at one time.  The Klosterhouses, McGinnis, Paynes, Keedlys, Talcotts, Gates, Wagner, Brohl, Strub, Keedys again ,  Wolfes, Hurds, Negoskis, Grays, Polona,  Taylor, Herrick, Dennis and Neopolitan. Three kids are gone, Nathan and a Herrick boy, and John Dennis
Just heard yesterday a dear next door neighbor died.  Mr. Payne.  He was my first girlhood crush, always had a nice word, and even carried a screaming me into the house after I was hit by a speeding bike.  (I still have the scar) 
Everyone cared.  I was called a Pollyanna this week for some of my views of today.  Oh well, maybe so, but what is wrong with wanting people to care, to get along,  to have no judgement, to be equal?  It can happen, what happened to working things out like little or big adults?
Never, would I say things in my house about a President the way he is disrespected.  He is a man, like us, and I am not ashamed to say it.
My daughter lives in my family home, and my Aunt Reggie just died.  The family still owns the home.
Good honest values are still here, people still care, love, and want the best for this Country.
So bless you all 21st neighbors.  Rest in peace, Mr. Harvey Payne, and be happy with your childhood sweetheart again. 
Stephen King.  "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve, Jesus, does anyone?"

No comments: